Sunday, April 29, 2018

Sunday - April 29 - Day 6

19.17.33 N
118.49.97 W
Miles travelled: 146 NM - only 2277 NM to Honolulu
Wind Speed: 15 -20 knots plus higher gusts
Sea State - 3 meter swells with wind chop

Are we there yet? It feels that with the speeds we are sailing (6 - 7+ knots), and the distance we cover, that it should be so. No. No way. But still, not bad for the first week. Comfortable? Well, I guess that is relative. We are still bumping and skittering, but it is beginning to feel "normal" and so I find I am able to accomplish more things other than lying on the berth! Each time we stand we must hold on to something. We lurch and pivot with the boat and fear a bruising fall, or worse, if we aren't careful. Everything we do must be considered in advance, then accomplished a bit at a time. We are especially watchful when Doug is up on the foredeck working the staysail. So far we have been successful - long may it continue.

Last night the wind and seas actually eased a bit and, on my watch, I was able to view a film (Confessions of a Wallflower - despite the goofy title, a pretty good coming-of-age story produced by John Malkovich) which made the time fly by. Thanks to Margie and Chuck, aboard Dreamcatcher, I have quite a few to watch if I so please. (Muchos gracias, Margie y Chuck!)

We both slept very well on our off watches and I woke after my second sleep very refreshed. I actually braved the bouncing to wash my hair and generally clean up me and the boat. We had all developed a sheen of salt on the skin, floor and companionway. The cockpit was greasy with salt, so I scooped up the used wash water and splashed it through the cockpit, rinsing it all away through the scuppers.

I am thinking of Nellie Maund-Stephens who is in Calgary today, participating in the Fireman's Stair Climb Challenge - a charitable event to raise funds for cancer patients. A fireman and emergency paramedic, Nellie participated last year as well, and both times, soon after going through chemotherapy herself. She is one of my personal heroes - always positive, always adventurous, setting goals for herself that would have most people quaking in their boots. But, you know, that's who Nellie is, cancer or no cancer. If you read this, Nellie, know I am behind you 110%!!! You rock!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment