Monday, April 30, 2018

April 30 - Monday - Day 7

19.37.91 N
121.13.40 W
Distance travelled: 139 NM
Left to go: 2138 (almost a third of the way there!)
Winds: Continue in the 15 - 20 range with higher gusts, starting to veer so our point of sail is now just aft of the beam. We continue along averaging 270 True. The staysail is down and we have been sailing on reefed main and dialing the jib in and out as needed.
Seas: 2 meter swells and still bumpy/confused, but becoming more bearable - we must be getting used to it!
Water: 22 degrees

Before I go any farther, I want to wish my big, little brother, Wesley, a very Happy Birthday!!! I still remember the first time I saw him when my parents brought him home from the hospital in Picton. He took one look at me and cried his eyes out - poor kid!

The last day at sea has been uneventful. I think we may be starting to get in the groove. Our watch patterns are becoming more routine, and thus easier to do. Watching films helps me, and Doug's talking books helps him, get through the night. I have been busy during the day sorting through provisions and meal preparation. For some reason we are in Indian curry mode - last night chicken masala - tonight potato curry and fresh baked Nann. Life could be worse!

Doug spends his day continually checking Ka'sala for wear and tear. The problem we had with the main track last year has started to reappear - we had to replace ball bearings with steel rods as we could not get the Lewmar part in the spring - but is manageable. He has also noticed a squeak in the bearing of the helm and is concerned it may be wearing out. (Let's hope not as that could have a huge impact on our self steering).

Our spirits are high today - especially because Ka'sala is performing so well - and how many miles we have managed to cover in our first week. Earlier today, I looked up the journal I kept on the last passage we did to Hawaii in 2011, and we had fun comparing the passage notes. We have been delighting in the nights - a full moon that lights up the ocean for as far as the eye can see. Magic!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment