Monday, June 18, 2018

Monday, June 18 - Day 5

31.25 N
152.05 W

114 NM, 637 made good and 1703 NM to go!

We've had a rainy night and experienced more rain in the last 24 hours than we have in the last year! I suppose we had better get used to it again as we are returning to the Pacific Northwest! It is a gentle introduction for, although it is wet, it is warm. Although I wear my wet weather gear on watch, I am in my bare feet. I don't think I will be able to that for much longer!

We continue with the wind from the southeast on our quarter. During the night it was quite gusty (15 - 25 knots) and we were up and down from the cockpit reefing/unreefing sails and adjusting the self steering device. It is fairly damp and humid in the cabin today so in a little while I will bake another pan of muffins to dry things out a bit. We don't actually have a wet locker, so we transfer jackets to drip in the head, then hang from the bar in the main salon. Not the tidy Ka'sala we are used to by far!

We seem to be stuck under the quasi stationary front which brings these wet conditions. We will likely be staying in them until it dissipates sometime over the next couple days. Then? We aren't sure, but hope we can connect with the western side of the high so we can go more northerly in dryer conditions.

Fresh stores seem to have stabilized. I have gotten rid of everything that spoiled quickly, but still have plenty of apples and oranges, as well as pineapple and a melon. When that's done we have a case of fruit cocktail and lots of dried fruit. My larder is stocked with tins of vegetables that I can easily add to anything I make. However, I was surprised to find some of my long life milk had solidified and there was a weevil or two in the whole wheat flour!! (more protein - haha!)

All is well with the soggy sailors!

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment