Saturday, May 5, 2018

Saturday, May 5 - Day 12

20.34 N
132.58 W

Distance Travelled: 129 NM - 1471 to go. We have passed the halfway point. Yippee!

Today is a calmer day. The wind is more moderate and we are cruising along at 5 - 5.5 knots on a starboard reach. We sailed wing on wing all night, but the wind continued to back, so we switched the sails around this morning. It is bright, warm and sunny with 50% cloud cover - the ocean is 22 degrees. The seas are still choppy and confused, and we continue to get smacked by the occasional big wave and bounce around - the new normal. Ha! We also seem to have encountered a .5 knot current against us....?

I was able to wash my hair this morning and it got me thinking about our water use. We left Nuevo Vallarta with 560 litres of fresh water for two adults for, perhaps, 30 days. We have no watermaker - when we are out, we are out. We must use this water for cleaning and drinking. We can supplement with salt water - I have a salt water pump by my sink which I use to rinse the yuck out of the dishes before I wash them - but too much salt water is hard on the inside of a boat and all its metal bits, not to mention hair, skin and clothes. I wondered about the early pioneers, or people who live in places with little fresh water, or the early marine explorers. However did they manage? We have used about 160 litres in the last 12 days and don't feel hard done by. All going well, we should make it to Honolulu with water to spare.

Today is also a special day as I am making pizza for dinner! Earlier, I made a tomato sauce to make use of tired vegetables and we will have it with pasta tomorrow. The journey continues aboard the pea green boat.

----------
radio email processed by SailMail
for information see: http://www.sailmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment